Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Get Off The Scale Beautiful





Nothing could instil more dread into my soul than a weigh-in day - especially when I had slipped on my food plan or was in full blown relapse. 

Whether I was attending a Weight Watchers meeting, being weighed by my Doc or stepping on my own bathroom scales, my heart rate would start rising.  My mind would be racing, I would make copious trips to the bathroom, ensuring every last bit of liquid was squeezed out of my body before the scales got to scream that dreaded number at me.


If the number was even a fraction more than the previous weigh-in I would feel myself spiralling into a self destructive binge. Crushing disappointment, cruel condemnation and severe shame would rain down on me from the annals of my mind; my disease wreaking a storm of unimaginable proportions in an effort to knock me back into relapse. 


I know that all sounds rather dramatic, but I can assure you that my use of these adjectives is to impress upon you the frightening reality of the insanity that food addiction brings. 


When in active compulsive overeating, my scales would take on a persona, they became either my darkest enemy or my most supportive friend. If the scales said I had lost weight, then they knew what they were saying and couldn't be argued with. On the other hand if the scales said I had gained weight, every theory and excuse under the sun would be considered, from 'it's that time of the month' to 'the battery in these scales might need replaced' or 'I should have worn the same clothes'.  I have even gone as far as removing a pair of earrings to see if that made a difference to the outcome - I mean honestly, if you didn't laugh, you'd cry at that insanity.


In recovery, balance of mind and attitude is restored when it comes time to weigh-in and the scales are no longer a persona that could induce such extreme mood swings.  I am not a number and neither are you.  

I want to share with you a piece of truth written by Dr Steve Maraboli, Life Coach, Best Selling Author and Behavioural Science Academic.  Read this, absorb it into your soul and live with its truth in your heart. You deserve it. 

Get Off The Scale! You are beautiful. Your beauty, just like your capacity for life, happiness, and success, is immeasurable. Day after day, countless people across the globe get on a scale in search of validation of beauty and social acceptance.

Get off the scale! I have yet to see a scale that can tell you how enchanting your eyes are. I have yet to see a scale that can show you how wonderful your hair looks when the sun shines its glorious rays on it. I have yet to see a scale that can thank you for your compassion, sense of humor, and contagious smile. Get off the scale because I have yet to see one that can admire you for your perseverance when challenged in life.

It’s true; the scale can only give you a numerical reflection of your relationship with gravity. That’s it. It cannot measure beauty, talent, purpose, life force, possibility, strength, or love. Don’t give the scale more power than it has earned. Take note of the number, then get off the scale and live your life. You are beautiful!

Steve Maraboli









No comments:

Post a Comment