Tuesday, February 25, 2014

This Disease is a Thief


When I sit and think, without food fog,  of the many moments of my life that have been stolen from me or adversely affected due to compulsive overeating, it is frightening. 

I am not sitting dwelling on the misery of it all or playing myself the world's tiniest violin whilst feeling sorry for myself, but I am having a sobering moment of reality - this disease is a destroyer and a thief. 




I want to remember what  it was like to be in the fog of active disease; to never forget what was damaged and taken from me. A real reminder of how bad it was and how it will only get worse if I ever fall into relapse again. This way I will stay in recovery. 



Adversely Affected
Self Control
Self Esteem
Self Love
Self Confidence
Self Awareness
Self Care
Self Consideration
Self Belief
Self Acceptance 
Happiness


Stolen
Walking free of pain
Walking without losing breath
Healthy joints
Healthy heart
Feeling comfortable in clothes
Enjoying shopping for clothes
Enjoying Salsa Dancing
Gym
Getting into a swimming pool 
Kneeling down on the floor and getting up easily
Getting up out of a low, deep sofa easily
Bending over to tie shoes without difficulty
Turning over in bed without pain
Easily turning to view the rear car window while reversing
Doing housework without being overtired 
Going out socially
Spontaneity 
Joining in activities with others
Yoga
Joie de Vivre 


That's some list!!  


I am very happy to report that all the recovery work that I have done over the past year has seen a lot of those stolen items returned to me and the damaged areas repaired. 

It is possible to recover from this disease one moment, meal, day at a time.  It takes courage, brutal honesty and a whole lot of self love and acceptance to get there. It also takes extending your hand to help another who suffers/suffered like you.   

Email me at karen.140@gmail.com if you have any questions regarding food addiction and recovery.  I really do want to help.






No comments:

Post a Comment